The International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia or IDAHOBIT is held on 17 May every year. That date was chosen to commemorate the decision to remove homosexuality from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organisation in 1990.
The purpose of IDAHOBIT is to raise awareness of LGBT+ rights and stimulate interest in LGBT+ rights worldwide.
The Co-op has proudly supported the day for a number of years and this year we’ll be lighting our support centre, 1 Angel Square, in rainbow colours and the NOMA Earth Tubes in front of 1 Angel Square will be illuminated in support.
IDAHOBIT aims to get people engaged in calling for an end to discrimination and violence against people on the grounds of sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
Sharon Pegg, Group Diversity and Inclusion Manager, commented:
“At the Co-op we promote a culture of respect and we fully support events such as IDAHOBIT to bring issues of homophobia and discrimination into focus.
“IDAHOBIT supports the whole LGBT+ community, at Co-op our Respect Network help’s to raise the awareness to ensure that Inclusion is at the heart of what we do. Ensuring our members, colleagues and customers can connect to the founding principles of who we are.”
Show your support for IDAHOBIT and demand a zero tolerance of discrimination against LGBT+ people.
- Get in touch with our Respect LGBT+ Network – email@example.com or
– Validium, our employee assistance programme (landline – 0800 970 1030 / mobile – 0330 332 9996)
- We all have a responsibility for challenging or reporting any homophobia, biphobia or transphobia we may hear or see, any issues of bullying and harassment should be taken seriously – see our Bullying and Harassment / Respect Policy for more information
- If you need support with workplace issues, please speak to your manager or contact the Diversity and Inclusion Team – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Become an LGBT+ Straight Ally