You did it – we’ve signed up our one millionth new member. The end of 2017 was our target to achieve this milestone and we’ve smashed it already. What an incredible achievement.
Here’s what Shelby, 18, our one millionth new member, had to say:
“I joined the Co-op membership after hearing about all the benefits, not only getting money back for myself but also giving to charity at the same time, which I think is amazing!”
Whether you’re one of our sixty Member Champions who visited stores, a colleague from the Support Centre who chipped in through ‘Lend a Hand’, or the stars who work in our stores, funeral homes and contact centres – thank you.
Your enthusiasm has been infectious. You’ve dressed up, dressed down, baked probably near to one million cakes and worked tirelessly with local causes to promote the benefits of membership to our customers and clients.
4.5 million active members
We’ve now got 4.5 million active members who are active in our Co-op. Active means that they’re buying our products and services and benefiting from the 5% and 1%.
Our active members also join in conversations with us through Member Voice, and have a say in how we run our business and the issues we campaign about.
This is just the start
Membership is what makes us different from other businesses and attracting new people to join us is so important to our success. But we’re still right at the beginning of our journey to bring the Co-op back to being all about our members.
We need members to spend more with us so that we can do more of the things we’re known for as a Co-op: giving back to members and their communities, investing in new products and services built on co-operative values, tackling global and local issues that matter to them.
What happens next?
We need members to do more of this:
- Buy Co-op own-brand products in our stores
- Trade with us across all of our businesses
- Use their membership card every time
So we all need to keep doing more of this:
- Talking to customers and clients about membership every day (and asking for their card)
- If they have a temporary card, encouraging them to register it online
- Encouraging them to try our Co-op own brand products
- Working with local causes to make great things happen in our communities
- Telling customers and clients about our other businesses (see the image above for some useful facts)
- Encouraging more of our colleagues to become members
Thanks again for everything you’re doing.
Chief Executive Officer, Co-op
Latest Posts By Co-op Colleagues
- 01.18.18Raising awareness of the hidden horror – our fight against modern slavery hits the BBC headlines
- 01.17.18The Government’s announced a Minister for Loneliness – in response to our call for action
- 01.17.18Payday double discount is back – with an own brand difference
- 01.15.18Could you be on the Co-op Members’ Council?
- 01.15.18#BeingCoop: a litter pick goes a long way