If you’re an eligible member you should have had your your AGM voting pack by now, by email or post. If you haven’t had yours, you’ll need to call 0800 023 4708.
As a member owned business, our AGM and elections give you a chance to get involved in our democracy, and vote on:
- Our motions – these include important things like what we campaign on, and how we work (last year these were around Fairtrade, modern slavery and packaging recyclability and you can see what changed as a result of you voting below)
- Our Member Nominated Directors who help set the business strategy, oversee our commercial and financial performance, and make sure we’re staying true to our values and principles
- Our Council members who make sure members’ voices and interests are heard at the highest level in our business
Have your say on our use of plastics
A new motion for 2018 (number 11), is about our use of plastic packaging, something very topical at the moment. While 71% of Co-op brand products are already in easy to recycle packaging (our goal being 80% by 2020) a vote for motion 11 will support our commitment to:
- Maintain our leadership position in identifying and reducing the sources of plastic pollution
- Maximise the recyclability of packaging, especially plastic packaging
- Report each year on the detailed progress made around packaging recyclability
What’s happened since you voted last year?
Last year we had AGM Motions on packaging, Fairtrade and modern slavery and members voted overwhelmingly in favour of all three.
We’ve made some great progress in all these areas since our last AGM, which you’ll see in our report and these short videos:
Packaging recyclability – making 80% of ours ‘easy to recycle’ by 2020:
How to vote:
If you’re coming to the AGM:
You can vote on the motions in the room, but you’ll need to vote for your Member Nominated Directors and Council representatives in advance either online or in the post depending on your pack preferences (just make sure you tell us you’re ‘attending’ when you complete your form).
If you’re not coming to the AGM:
If you’re not coming, you can still vote online or by post, depending on your pack preferences. You’ll need to select ‘I am unable to attend the AGM and wish to appoint a voting representative’ if you’re voting online – or complete Section 2 on the paper voting form. This person (normally the Chair) then places your vote on the day. You’ll then be able to vote for your Member Nominated Directors and Council representatives
To find out if you’re eligible to vote this year, just log into your membership account.