By Rebecca Birkbeck, Director of Community and Shared Value
When our members buy selected Co-op branded products and services, 2p for every pound spent is split between community organisations and local causes.
And it soon adds up, because this week we’re celebrating the £15 million our members have helped raise for over 4,500 local causes in the past year.
From supporting projects that improve access to food and mental wellbeing, to education and employment opportunities for young people, our Local Community Fund has never been so vital.
Usually, we’d be inviting members and causes to celebrate with us in person but, as you can imagine, 2020’s Payout is going to be a bit different.
Instead of gathering in food stores and funeral homes over a slice of cake and a natter, we’ll take the celebration online on Friday 20 and Saturday 21 November, to keep everyone safe.
Join the celebrations
You and our members are our VIP guests and we’d love it if you could help us make this year’s Payout celebration just as memorable as the last. Here’s how you can get involved:
From Monday 16 November:
- register for an account on Social Hub, if you haven’t already. Log in and help celebrate by updating your social media profile pictures with our Payout frame and sharing content
- make sure you’re following @coopuk to find out how local causes are making a difference in our communities and join the Payout conversation using #ItsWhatWeDo
Wednesday 18 November:
- just in time for Payout, we’ll air our brand-new membership TV ad. It’ll showcase how we’re doubling what goes to communities when members shop. Keep your eyes peeled!
Thursday 19 November:
- join your colleagues and causes at 8pm on YouTube for a Co-op Membership themed quiz. It’ll be hosted by world record-breaking quizmaster Jay Flynn MBE of Jay’s Virtual Pub Quiz. There’s no need to be in a team, just turn up and play. Quizzes are a great way to bring communities, friends and family together. If you’re interested in setting up your own, then Co-operate can help
Friday 20 and Saturday 21 November:
- step into a virtual party on your mobile device via Social Hub, release balloons using augmented reality and find out how your local community benefits from this year’s Payout
Choose a cause
Through the Co-op App you can choose a new local community cause to support whenever you buy Co-op branded products and services.